Sunday, May 24, 2009

Sometimes they're good, sometimes they're bad

So yesterday morning, I forced myself to a 5 mile run. I say forced, because Friday I ran 5 miles, and biked 20 more. Logic would have told me to take it easy, but being the competitor that I am, I went out for an out and back on my typical run.

I tried to take it easy, but I had no legs. It was also 75F, and I'm just getting my body in tune to running in the hotter temperatures. As I approached the 4 mile turnaround, I was struggling, but I rounded that corner to go another half mile. And I paid for it. I ended up walking quite a bit of the return.

There's a hill on my route that is pretty steep, about .25 miles long, and I usually put on some good music (Lately, Eminem's "Till I Collapse"), and rock it out. I can usually attack it with a ton of energy, even though its at the end of the run. However this run, I was not able to attack with such ferocity. I made it home, exhausted, and drank to G2's.

Lessons learned:
-When tired after a day of tough workouts, ease self into workout. A 4 mile run or even another bike would have been better.
-Don't run so late in the morning! It was 11:30 by the time I started running. The blacktop was really hot, and I had no shade for the run.
-Don't wait so long after eating. I ate breakfast nearly 2 hours prior. At that time of the day, I was probably pretty empty in my stomach.

What's next? I'm taking today off (going to Tigers Game!) Time to rest and recharge after 3 runs and a bike ride in 4 days. I'll get back at it tomorrow morning!

1 comment:

  1. Bummer that you had a bad run... onward and upward!

    ReplyDelete