Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Redemption

Monday mid-morning, I found that zone and that old rhythm for 5 miles. I hit my run with the usual mental toughness I have, my rested body, and the results were much better. Sunday was a good day to take off, my body needed it.

My day off Sunday consisted of Tigers baseball, Red Wings hockey, and the delicacies that go along with those two things. I got some carbs my body truly needed, and felt the result on Monday.

This evening, I had another good run. I laid around for a bit before going running, to get some food and recharge. Then, the sky was dark, as a storm was brewing. I quickly checked the weather, and saw I could get a good run in before the rain came. I ran a new 4.5 mile route (a loop, my favorite kind of runs), and locked in, pushing the tempo and my body. I lifted weights in the morning before work, and sometimes you never know what kind of run you'll have that evening, but today I was pushed by the weather (not that it matters if I get wet while running).

Over the past year of training, I've found you've got to find different ways to push yourself (while not running) to make yourself stronger, better. Last year, I made several dietary changes, from cutting out mayonnaise and cheese from my sandwiches, to a strict diet of chicken, pork, and turkey. This past winter, I joined Powerhouse gym, which came with a free personal trainer, which I of course took advantage of. I started my first program in the end of December, and it took a while to adjust and get it set into my routine.

After Miami in January, I really locked in, hitting the gym regularly 4 times a week (when I was in town), and usually at least 2 times per week. I started my second program in mid-March, upping the quantity of exercises, repetitions, and weight and continued my 4 times/week regimen. On Sunday, while staying in Ann Arbor with friends, I awoke to a surprise on the scale- an 8 pound loss since December! My mileage was down, but running and lifting (many times both in the same day) had yielded good results. I also am noticing this in my running, as I am able to run at a faster pace. I'm hoping this yields significant improvement on my time in Chicago, as well as feeling stronger later in the race. I hope to start a new program sometime in the next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment