Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Need for Speed




This morning, I returned to the WMU track, where I left much sweat last summer. It is time for speed workouts! I learned to love these last year, even though they left me tired and hungry throughout the day.

Track workouts typically start at 5:45 am, but today they didn't start until 6:00 am, as they were going through some information regarding them. Good thing, because I accidently set my alarm for 5:15 pm, not am, and awoke at 5:49 am. I threw on some clothes and contacts, and headed to the track. I made it just as they were finishing the orientation.

I found some of the people I ran with last year, and we took off on our mile warmup run. We chatted, and caught up on each other's races of the last 8 months. After the warmup, we hit the track.

Today's workout was short, but the objectives were clear:

Enable you to run further at or near your lactate threshold running speed

Improve the speed (raise the ceiling) at which your lactate threshold occurs

Run more comfortably at marathon or goal marathon pace

Improve running efficiency

Help prevent overtraining


We had to run 2 X 1/2 mile with 1/4 mile recovery in between (1 track lap = 1/4 mile). We completed the run, in awe of how many people joined this week (we'll see if that sticks next week), and talked about other things. We finally ended with a mile cooldown, in which we ran to the nearby Dairy Queen and back.

Sunday consisted of a 3 mile recovery run, and yesterday was a round of golf and lifting weights. I'm feeling pretty good phsyically, just tired.

A curve ball I may have to deal with this summer is traveling. I'm scheduled to travel either to Columbus, OH or Bordentown, NJ next week. Travel presents 2 obsticals: running and eating. For the running, I typically walk around all day, and won't run in the morning. The evenings, I am typically tired, and have other work items to deal with. As for eating, I have to make smart choices to keep my body going, and not overeat either. Hopefully, tomorrow I'll know where I'm headed.

No comments:

Post a Comment