Friday, August 21, 2009

Holistic Healing




Most runners you talk to will discuss how getting a massage should be considered "a regular part of training". Yesterday afternoon, I did just that.

I went to Symmetry, which is located in the health club S.W.A.T. I indicated my legs were sore (which they were), and got up on the table in hopes of feeling much better in an hour. I knew that I was sore, but the exact locations surprised me. I found that my hip flexors were sore, as well as my left hamstring, and right hamstring.

During the massage, there were several times I wanted to jump off the table, as I was that sore from my training. I could feel my body loosen up throughout it.

As I was being treated, the therapist and I started discussing Kinesiology Tape, and what it does, curious, I had her tape my feet, to see how it felt. It's common for muscle pain and soreness, and was used by many athletes in the Beijing Olympics. It is waterproof and sweatproof, and can stay on for several days. Needless to say, I'm curious, and I scheduled an appointment for taping more of my legs the day before my first 20-miler. If it works, I may have to consider getting this done before a hard run.

Another thing we discussed was baths in Epsom Salt. It helps the muscles remove the waste from muscles, as well as give the body magnesium. I've discussed with Erin about taking ice baths after a hard run, but I'm curious to know how the Epsom Salt works!

No comments:

Post a Comment